08 May 2018

Kicking Against the Goad

I am a peripatetic philosopher, old, and full of days.
My quest, an anxious search for a time that has been lost.
The only recompense is a pocket with a hole in it.
I ask for wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and nothing else.
Holiness and worldliness are in constant friction.
What is the life of man? Is it to lurch from sorrow to sorrow;
To bottle up one set of problems and uncork another?
Is it kicking against the goad of our wild desires?
Is it a perpetual peek through the keyhole of curiosity?
We are the sum of the many foolish choices that we make,
And we are a result of the careless chances that we take.
May the good Lord pardon everyone of a willing heart
Who sets his heart on seeking God, and eternal life.
Virtuous men pass mildly away saying, "It's time to go."
They know as only the dying know, that eternity is now.
The Lord your God is gracious and merciful and will not turn
His his face from you, if you don't turn your face from Him.

.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.