23 February 2009

Carnaval en Silao, Guanajuato 2009

Every year year in the neighboring city of Silao on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday people sell egg shells that have been filled with confetti and made into all types of colorful figurines and then fastened to a stick. There is an old custom for teenage boys and girls to break the confetti filled egg over the head of their chosen boyfriend or girlfriend. It is my understanding that this custom dates from the time of the "Flower Wars" of the pre-Hispanic Aztec Civilization but it may also have its roots in certain festivals in Europe. I wrote more about this last February in a post called “Domingo de Carnaval”.

This year Gina and I once again took the opportunity to enjoy our Sunday afternoon in Silao to appreciate the skill that the people exhibit in the making of each “cascaron” (which means “eggshell” in Spanish). I took some photos with my little digital camera but I didn't do their handy work justice. I am sure that a really talented photographer or artist would have a wonderful time capturing all of the shapes, textures and colors. If you happen to be one of those people, here are some pictures to capture your fancy if nothing else. Mark it on your calendar to be in Silao in the “Jardín” (garden) alongside the Parroquia de Santiago Apóstol on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday 2010. Si Dios quiere (if God be willing) I'll see you there and you can take my picture too!











6 comments:

Babs said...

Great photos - it is astonishing all the work they put into this ephemeral item.
All the vendors were set up in our jardin also.....I took a few photos but not nearly as good as yours!

GlorV1 said...

Oh how exciting that looks Bob. So many dolls and so colorful. It must be so much fun. Funny that I would see so many dolls here, because I am in the process of learning how to mold dolls. It should be fun. Thanks for all the exciting info and enjoyment. Take care Mr. Bob.

YayaOrchid said...

What a colorful display! I would so love to visit those places. I am amazed at how much art exists in Mexico, so many artists making their living that way. Beautiful pictures Bob!

Rene Miranda said...

great images
thanks for sharing
I love Guanajuato!

Anonymous said...

hi my name is felix,
IM from silao gto and my mom made those colorfull eggs ist amazing how they do it

Bob Mrotek said...

Mucho gusto Felix y le mando saludos a tu mamá.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.