03 November 2007

El Panteón

Yesterday, November 2nd, Gina and I went to the municipal cemetery or “panteón” to clean the graves of her family and leave flowers. We brought yellow “cempazuchtl” or “zempasuchil” (a type of marigold) signifying light, and red “cresta de gallo” (cock’s comb) signifying the blood and resurrection of Christ. There were thousands of other people doing the same thing and the atmosphere was that of a carnival. Later on, we visited the Casa de la Cultura” of the City of Irapuato to view the municipal altar that was set up to honor all of the Irapuatenses who have died since the founding of the city in the year 1547. I took a few pictures to record the day and you will find them below.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.